This week picks up a little bit today, with multiple showcases scheduled. We’ll be covering two of them. Up first is the Upload VR Showcase. Now, I’m not going to lie: I’m not fully invested in VR. It’s not that I don’t think it’s a great idea, it’s more because a) it’s expensive and b) it gives me massive headaches just thinking about it. That being said, VR is absolutely relevant to the future of video games, and I’m excited to see what’s to come!
This is our first look at the multiplayer duelling game set in a fantasy world. The game features “cutting edge fencing mechanics,” which sounds kinda cool. Broken Edge is coming soon to Meta Quest 2 and Steam VR.
Zenith: The Last City
While the base game has already launched, it’s now time to see what’s next. The Celestial Throne update features eight new armour sets. The update will be released on June 16 for Meta Quest, PSVR, and SteamVR.
I’ve talked about Green Hell in the past, it’s a game about surviving in a rainforest filled to the brim with things that want to kill you, from tiny bacteria to very large (and mean) animals. Honestly, it already creeps me out quite a bit, and playing in VR seems like an entirely different, far more real experience. It is available now for SteamVR.
Final Fury is a multiplayer, first-person fighting game. It will be released in 2023 for “all major platforms.”
Nerf Ultimate Championship
The greatest athletes from across the globe come here to train and compete. Hone skills ahead of matches with parkour courses and the Blaster Range. There are a few different game modes available outside of training. It will be released on August 25 for MetaQuest 2
Unplugged: Air Guitar
This trailer is for the rhythm game’s first major DLC artist pack: Pantera. It is available for Meta Quest 2 and SteamVR.
Dyschronia: Chronos Alternate
It’s a perfect world where nobody even has bad dreams, but the founder of the city with no crime has been murdered. As a variant, you need to solve the crime by messing with the past. The past, though, hides mysteries for a reason… Dyschronia: Chronos Alternate will be released later this year for Meta Quest 2.
- The trailer for Cosmonious High feature the game’s accessibility update. The developers want players to be comfortable with convenient gameplay. One-handed mode has been added, stations and objects are adjustable. Characters’ pronouns are more visible. Iconography helps those with problems reading text. Tutorials have been added to help cognitively.
- The latest update for Virtuoso has added new environment and tools. The game is available for Meta Quest 2 and PC VR.
- Cities VR has gotten a pretty major update with the Metro and Traffic Routing Update. The game is currently available for Meta Quest 2, while the update should be available later this month.
- There is currently a free beta available for The Patcher, an online shooter with ginormous AI bosses. The full game will be released this year for PC VR.
- An otherworldly shooter, Into the Radius is being ported. It will be released in September 2022 for Meta Quest 2.
- In Demeo‘s Curse of the Serpant Lord DLC, Alana is the sixth character to join. The update is free and will be available on June 16.
- Wow, this next game is quite a violent zombie shooter. To each their own, I guess? After the Fall: Frontrunner Season is available now.
- A great-looking game about parkour, Stride is getting a multiplayer update. It features Horde Mode, as well as a King of the Hill mode. Characters are Customisable. The update will be available today for Meta Quest 2 and SteamVR.
HeliSquad: Covert Operations
From the creator of Warplanes: WWI Fighters and Warplanes: Battles Over Pacific comes HeliSquad: Covert Operations. It will be released later this year for Meta Quest, Pico, SteamVR, and Viveport.
The Twilight Zone VR
That’s right, there’s a VR game based on perhaps the trippiest show of all time. Step into a world where anything is possible. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. Three mind-bending stories are included in one game. It will be released on July 14 for Meta Quest 2.
Awaken your inner child with playful VR puzzles in a hand-crafted world. Unlock new costumes. Tickle your brain. Coming soon to VR, with platforms to be announced at a later date.
Hubris is VR action-adventure game set in a unique sci-fi universe with a truly immersive experience. It will be released for Meta Quest 2, SteamVR, and Viveport.
Moss: Book 2
We don’t even get a new trailer for the sequel to Moss, but no worries: it will be released on July 21 for Meta Quest 2.
Ragnarock: Hellfest DLC
Put on the VR headset to earn the power to sail through the universe, be the master of earth and heaven. Become the best ship captain ever. It’s a drumming game featuring songs from the likes of The Offsprung, Nightwish, and more. Know the eternal glory of metal gods, and get to the Hellfest main stage. This DLC is available now for Meta Quest 2, SteamVR, and Viveport.
Propagation: Paradise Hotel
The goal is simple: get out of the Paradise Hotel. Alive. The game will be released for Meta Quest 2 and SteamVR.
Mothergunship Forge will be released on June 16 for Meta Quest 2 and Steam VR.
This game looks good! Terrifying, though. It is a creepy lo-fi horror game by a three-person team. The developers promise a different kind of horror experience. It will be released in 2023 for SteamVR.
The host says we haven’t spilled enough blood yet. I beg to differ, what’s with all the violence?! In Hellsweeper, players master brutal combat, move without limits (like play upside-down), summon infernal powers, and descend into hell. Hellsweeper VR will be released “soon” for SteamVR.
This stealth action adventure made for specifically VR. You are P.O.E., tracking a terrorist ring around the world. The game features new playable frames, Sinder and Sooty. When you select the Sooty frame, you’ll be three-feet tall in the world, unlike the Sinder frame. It will be released this year for Meta Quest 2.
A variety of trailers
At this point, there is a section of quick trailers, including:
- Orbital Strike, summer 2022, PC VR, Draconis Interstellar
- Wands Alliances, June 30, MQ2, Cortopia Studios
- Next Player Please, pla-and-pass, MQ, Archlevel, this year
- Tin Hearts, this year, PC VR, Rogue Sun, flat launches first
- Eolia, summer 2022, MQ2, Rotu
- Requisition VR, Sept 200, PCVR, Arcadia
We Are One
In We Are One, Teamwork meets timeloops. Clone and team up with yourself using time loops to solve puzzles. No specific platforms have been announced, but it promises to be available on “major VR platforms.” Do with that what you will.
What the Bat?
This game, from the developers of What the Golf?, is one of the few to really catch my eye during this showcase. It’s like WarioWare, but everything is done with baseball bats. Everything. As an added bonus, the song is catchy! It will be released this year for Meta Quest 2 and SteamVR.
There’s a warning here: profanity ahead! It’s time for municipal mayhem, whatever that means. It’s hard to understand what’s even being said because of this electronic filter being applied. Also, the swearing wasn’t that bad. The game will be released later this year for Meta Quest 2 and SteamVR.
It’s time for a look at the much-anticipated Among Us VR! It will be released “Holiday 2022” for Meta Quest 2 and SteamVR.
Team17 is making the leap to VR games! It’s horror for sure, as the tension is palpable. It will be released for Meta Quest 2.