Mario Kart 8 Deluxe instantly became one of my favourite games on Nintendo Switch. Revisiting revamped courses from the past? Yes, please! (It’s worth noting that I missed the Wii U release so this was new to me.) As if all the courses included in the game weren’t enough, Nintendo has been releasing new courses on the regular for the past year via its Booster Course Pass (available as paid DLC or with a Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack). And just in time for Mario Day, the next wave of courses will be released!
As I mentioned, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a port of Mario Kart 8, though with some new characters and the return of Battle Mode (which never should have been removed to begin with). It was first released in early 2017, so the Booster Course Pass that had waves beginning in 2022 were a welcome addition to something people had already played excessively. When it comes to the Pass, there are a total of six waves planned; after wave 4, two more are due out by the end of 2023. These six waves will include a total of 48 courses.
Wave 4 includes eight courses split amongst two cups, Fruit and Boomerang. The courses are pulled from games from Wii, GBA, Nintendo DS, Nintendo Game Cube, and Mario Kart Tour (which often I forget exists). Here’s the breakdown of all the courses, along with their descriptions from Nintendo.
- Tour Amsterdam Drift – Cruise from scenic city streets to fields full of colorful tulips in this Amsterdam-inspired course originating from the mobile game Mario Kart Tour.
- GBA Riverside Park – Through waterfalls and over bridges you’ll go in this jungle-themed course packed with sharp turns and towering greenery in this course that originated in Mario Kart: Super Circuit!
- Wii DK Summit – Soar to new heights and carve down the hills on this twisty, turny, and wintry course featuring ramps galore and some cool sculptures of familiar friends. Just watch out for banana peels!
- Yoshi’s Island – Move and groove around this new and nostalgic course inspired by the Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island game on Super NES! Flutter your feet over to the winner’s circle as you zoom through flowercovered hills and over cloud-dotted skies—and is that a gargantuan NepEnut?!
- Tour Bangkok Rush – Golden skies, shimmering waterways and stunning sights aplenty are calling your name on this course that originated in Mario Kart Tour.
- DS Mario Circuit – It might be called Mario Circuit, but this Mario Kart DS-inspired course prominently features none other than Peach’s Castle among its blossoming trees and manicured lawns—complete with a winding path through the castle’s interior!
- GCN Waluigi Stadium – Waluigi is here to give the people WAH-t they want! This time get ready to speed around the multitude of obstacles and ramps that make up this furiously fast dirt course that originated in Mario Kart: Double-Dash!!!
- Tour Singapore Speedway – The city lights shine bright at night—but don’t slow down to stare! Drift your way to first place and be mindful of the vacationing Goombas on this colorful course that originated in Mario Kart Tour.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is currently available for Nintendo Switch. Booster Course Pack Wave 4 will be released on March 9.