That’s right, a Nintendo Direct and a State of Play on the same day! How lucky! This broadcast is approximately 27 minutes, featuring updates to previously-announced games. And I’m not going to lie, after that Direct it’s a big yawn from me right up until the final reveal. Games featured include indie titles, PS VR2 titles, and titles from third-party partners. I have made note of whether the game is coming to only PlayStation 5, or also PlayStation 4; note titles may be coming to other platforms as well. Noted seasons are all Northern, so flip them around if you’re from the Southern Hemisphere!
I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I know it’s just so stupid, but I’m obsessed with Baby Steps. It’s the definition of a walking simulator, where players control each leg individually on a very lazy dude. He never knew he had the power to put one foot in front of the other until now. He’ll hike a mountain one step at a time, taking in the sights while trying to find meaning in a wasted life. This trailer shows up some of the gameplay, involving Nate trying to get up a muddy slope and across something you’d generally need a grappling hook for. Baby Steps will be released for PlayStation 5 in Summer 2024.
Resident Evil 4: VR Mode/Separate Ways/The Mercenaries
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: the idea of Resident Evil in VR terrifies me. Still, it’s pretty cool, so I thought it was worth mentioning that VR Mode will be coming to Resident Evil 4 via PS VR2 “this winter.” New DLC titled Separate Ways will be released for PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 on September 21, alongside The Mercenaries free update.
Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
Take a gander at a bigger New York! No longer restricted to Manhattan, Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 has added two new boroughs: Queens and Brooklyn. Players can switch seamlessly between the two heroes. Some of the villains haven’t been seen in this universe yet. There’s a Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man app for tasks; some people want either Spidey while others want a specific hero. The more you do, the more things can be upgraded. The game includes a whopping 65+ suits, including original designs. Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 launches for PlayStation 5 on October 20.
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
The world will be saved, but will you? The big news from this trailer is the release date, but we also get to see Cait Sith, Vincent, Costa Del Sol, and the Golden Saucer. The Golden Saucer is perhaps the coolest part: it’s a giant amusement park that hopefully includes a bunch of mini-games. I won’t waste your time, though… onto the release date. Final Fantasy VII Rebirth will be launched for PlayStation 5 on February 29, 2024.
Full list of featured games
- Baby Steps (launching for PlayStation 5 in Summer 2024)
- Roblox (launching for PlayStation 4 on October 10, 2023)
- Ghostbusters: Rise of the Ghost Lord (launching for PS VR2 on October 26, 2023)
- Resident Evil 4: VR Mode (launching for PS VR2 “this winter”)
- Resident Evil 4: Separate Ways (launching for PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 on September 21, 2023)
- Resident Evil 4: The Mercenaries (launching for PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 on September 21, 2023)
- Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora (launching for PlayStation 5 on December 7, 2023)
- Ghostrunner II (launching for PlayStation 5 on October 26, 2023)
- Helldivers II (launching for PlayStation 5 on February 8, 2024)
- Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 (launching for PlayStation 5 on October 20, 2023)
- Tales of Arise: Beyond the Dawn (launching for PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 on November 9, 2023)
- Honkai Star Rail (launching for PlayStation 5 on October 11, 2023)
- Foamstars (PlayStation 5 open beta runs from September 29 – October 1)
- Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (launching for PlayStation 5 on February 29, 2024)