Nintendo’s month long celebration of all things portable and Mario commences this week with a sale on the original Super Mario Bros and Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3.
So no sooner did I start to complain that there wasn’t going to be anything new posting to the eShop for A Month of Mario (which leads into the launch of New Super Mario Bros 2 on 8/19) than Nintendo went ahead and added Wario Land to the eShop. It’s an 8-bit Summer after all.
I have some fond memories of Wario’s GameBoy adventure and I’m sure I’m not alone. The game continues the same great feel of the handheld’s Mario titles, but with the Wario treasure hunting twist. As for the actual A Month of Mario promo, the first week’s sale just might be the best of them all as the grandaddy of platformers Super Mario Bros goes down to just $3.99 USD. If you’ve never played this one- you just flat out need to. And that’s about all I’m going to say about that.
Also posted on the US store this week is Planet Crashers, Mole Mania, and a sale on Colors! 3D. Colors is a pretty in depth art and drawing tool for the 3DS that’s definitely worth the time for the artistically inclined (and even those who aren’t).
And as if things couldn’t get any more spectacular this week- is that a Wii game I see?!? Well, sort of. World Heroes Perfect hits the fading console’s Virtual Console this week. I don’t know about you, but if some of these Wii VC games were landing on the eShop as well, they’d be a lot more tempting. As it is- meh.
- Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 – $3.99 — The “8-bit Summer” series continues with this video game classic. After being kicked out of the last castle by his rival, Mario, Wario is scheming to steal a golden statue. Help him collect treasure by smashing into objects and foes.
- Mole Mania – $2.99 — Also joining the “8-bit Summer” lineup this week is Mole Mania. Join Muddy Mole in a race to defeat the evil farmer, Jinbe. Work your way through each puzzle by pushing, pulling or throwing black balls to defeat or trap enemies.
- Planet Crashers – $9.99 — An unknown evil has emerged from the darkest corner of the galaxy with plans to snuff out the sun. Journey to the other side of the galaxy and prevent the unimaginable from happening.
- Dot Runner: Complete Edition – $4.99 — “Dot Runner: Complete Edition” is a dot-eater action game in which dots that appear in dungeons must be devoured within the time limits.
A Month of Mario special sale
Game of the Weekend
- Decathlon 2012 – $4.99/500 points — 10 games in one: 100 meters sprint, long jump, shot put, high jump, 400 meters run, 110 meters hurdles, discus throw, pole vault, javelin throw, and finally the exhausting 1500 meters run.
- World Heroes Perfect – 900 points — This is the fourth installment in the World Heroes fighting game series, released in 1995. In this game, 16 figures from across history fight for the title of the world’s strongest. In previous installments, the amount of time you held a button down determined the strength or weakness of an attack, but that system has been removed in this game. In addition to a more orthodox fighting-game approach that enables weak, middle and strong attacks using different buttons, this game includes new elements such as the Hero Gauge, Extra Attacks and Guard Breaker Attacks, adding an exciting new layer of strategy