It’s time for one of the bigger (by that I just mean more popular, not necessarily “best”) showcases of the week! Expect some big blockbusters to show up here, including previously-announced games as well as brand new ones. Fingers crossed that ID@Xbox shows up so we aren’t drowning in space shooters, which seems to be all the rage for this year’s big titles. As always, I’m looking for the hidden gems and the games that do something innovative… or just games that are cute, because cute games are often happy games. This showcase focuses on games launching during the next twelve months. All games will be released for PC and Xbox, and some for cloud gaming.
Rumour has it, something’s off at the church. There’s blood, and the pastor’s gone missing. Great idea: let’s investigate it alone! And guess what: it’s filled with vampires. People in town start vanishing, and those that don’t sold out. Soon, everyone was dead, part of a cult and wanting to be a vampire, or already a vampire. The vampires completely cut the town off from the outside world. Redfall is a four-player co-op game (think Left 4 Dead with vampires instead of zombies) but can also be played alone. It will be released in 2023.
Microsoft Flight Simulator: update
Go back in time in Flight Simulator! Airplanes, biplanes… they’re coming. There’s also generally just new aircraft, like helicopters and gliders. The sky is calling. This update celebrates the franchise’s 40th anniversary. Also coming to Microsoft Flight Simulator: Halo. That’s actually quite unexpected. The free add-on (Halo) is available today.
Ara: History Untold
Ara: History Untold is a turn-based, historical grand strategy game developed by “many of the leads behind one of the most popular strategy games of all time.” Any guesses? Build a nation and lead it through global history while exploring, developing culture, conducting diplomacy, and go head-to-head with rivals.
Holy cow, Mojang is actually making a new game. I didn’t think it was possible. Legends hold great power. They are the dreams we weave into our shared story. Some legends tell of peace and the beauty of simplicity. Some tell of danger and the end of all things. But the legends we hold dearest are legends of hope, of creativity, and of bravery. And friendships that change the world forever. This is the legend of a united overworld. This is an action-strategy game. It will be released in 2023.
The Last Case of Benedict Fox
It’s a dark, rainy night as you enter a mansion. And not a happy mansion. There is definitely some influence from Lovecraft, too. It’s a Metroidvania game with deep, satisfying exploration and combat systems. In 1920s Boston, a self-proclaimed detective is trying to uncover the fate of an entire family while traveling across a dark world while battling a demon trapped in his own body. It will be released in 2023.
Oh I love this art style. It looks like illustrations, set in the 16th century. But someone important has died. An unexpected narrative adventure. I wonder if the title comes from the word “pentimento,” which in art is the presence of earlier strokes that have been painted over. Play as Andreas, a journeyman artist working in a scriptorium during a time of social unrest. Players will make his decisions, from education to lifestyle to investigative techniques (he will be investigating a series of murders). Pentiment will be released in November 2022.
Wo Long: Fallen Destiny
Set in an epic, supernatural Three Kindgoms world. From the depth of the darkness, a dragon soars… overcome the odds by awakening the power within you. Wo Long: Fallen Destiny will be released in early 2023.
A Mystery Kojima Game
Kojima is here, talking about a game he’s always wanted to want. Microsoft is able to help him to that, to make a never-before-seen concept. What is it? I have no idea, they won’t tell us! What a tease.
The full list of games
- Redfall (Xbox Console Exclusive) (2023)
- Hollow Night: Silksong
- High on Life (Console Launch Exclusive) (October 2022)
- League of Legends
- League of Legends Wild Rift
- Legends of Runeterra
- Teamfight Tactics
- A Plague Tale: Requiem (2022)
- Forza Motorsport (Q2 2023)
- Microsoft Flight Simulator
- Overwatch 2 (Early Access begins October 4, 2022)
- Ara: History Untold
- A new turn-based strategy game from creators that defined the genre.
- The Elder Scrolls Online: High Isle update (June 21, 2022)
- Fallout 76: The Pitt update (September 2022)
- Forza Horizon 5: Hot Wheels DLC (July 19)
- Ark 2 (Console Launch Exclusive) (2023)
- Scorn (Console Launch Exclusive) (October 21, 2022)
- Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn (2023)
- Minecraft: Legends (2023)
- Lightyear: Frontier (Console Launch Exclusive) (Q2 2023)
- Gunfire Reborn (October 2022)
- The Last Case of Benedict Fox (Console Launch Exclusive) (Q2 2023)
- As Dusk Falls (July 19, 2022)
- Naraka: Bladepoint (Console Launch Exclusive) (June 23, 2022)
- Pentiment (November 2022)
- Grounded (full launch September 2022)
- Ereban: Shadow Legacy (Console Launch Exclusive) (2023)
- Diablo IV (2023)
- Sea of Thieves: Season Seven (July 21)
- Ravenlok (2023)
- Cocoon (Console Launch Exclusive) (2023)
- Wo Long: Fallen Destiny (early 2023)
- Persona 3 Portable
- Persona 4 Golden
- Persona 5 Royal (October 21, 2022)
- Mystery Kojima Game
- Starfield (Xbox Console Exclusive) (2023)