News by Matt S.
Well, here’s a nice announcement to have come from Gamescom for fans of the Diablo-style RPG. Kalypso Media, the publisher behind a number of our pet favourite PlayStation 4 games (including Tropico 5, Grand Ages: Medieval, and Dungeons 2), has announced that it has teamed up with developer, Game Watcher, to produce a violent action RPG, called Vikings – Wolves of Midgard.
This is a wholly new IP that will place players right in the middle of Ragnarok itself. To be released on the PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC (and Mac) in 2017, you’ll be tasked with battling the Jotun, the undead, and other horrors that you might expect to find in the battleground apocalypse.
This game offers both single player and online co-op, and you’ll have a range of different weapons to play with – we’re promised that sword and shield, two-handed hammer, dual-wielded axes and bows will all play different. And, in addition to the main game, there will be a mode that Kalypso is calling the Trials of the Gods – a special challenge mode that rewards the best warriors with special equipment and runes.
From the press release:
- Fantasy Meets Nordic Mythology: Travel the realms of earthly Midgard, freezing Niflheim and boiling Balheim, either as a fierce Viking warrior or merciless shieldmaiden.
- The Deadly Fimbulwinter: Withstand the deathly colds and protect yourself from exposure to nature’s wrath in order to survive. Tribute to the Gods: Collect blood from fallen enemies and sacrifice it at the altar to gain gifts from the Gods to enhance your powers.
- Berserker Rage: Let your anger take hold by activating Rage Mode to overwhelm your enemies in bloodthirsty combat. The art of combat: Perfect your skills with each weapon to unlock their true potential, including swords, bows and spell-powered canes.
- The Power of the Gods: Make the abilities of the Gods your own by equipping power-infused amulets, like the Talismans of Thor or Loki. Put your new skills to the test by competing in the Trials of the Gods to earn further rewards.
- Teamwork: Team up with a friend and journey to the Shores of Midgard together in an epic two player online co-op mode. Choose between four difficulty levels to suit your skills and talents. Do you dare attempt the unrelenting hardcore mode?
- The Clan of Wolves: Restore and rebuild your village and lead your clan to glory. Upgrade buildings such as weaponsmith, armourer, runesmith, and mead hall to unlock more content and better equipment.
- Legendary Weapons: Gather the scattered fragments of mythical weapons and armors to take on the most fearsome creatures of the realms.
- A Class of its Own: Become even more powerful in the next life by attempting New Game+, and push your Viking warrior or shieldmaiden to their limit.
- Destructible Environments: Utilize your surroundings by burying your foes under falling rocks or pushing them off high cliffs.