I almost always enjoy Nintendo’s Indie World Showcases. I mean, the general Directs are pretty great (the last one smashed it out of the park, mostly because of Super Mario World: Six Golden Coins) but there’s just something about the Indie World Showcase that generally feels a bit cozier. I had very few expectations going into this one… and while it wasn’t phenomenal, there are some gems. It’s worth noting that these games will all be coming to Nintendo Switch; they may be released to other platforms but I’m just focusing on their Switch launches here. I’ll get into some of the game highlights, provide a complete list of featured games, and link to the entire showcase.
Mineko’s Night Market
Many years ago the cat God appeared on the top of a mounting: Niko. He would visit towns at its base, blessing them in turn. Someone became jealous, though, and banished Niko. The story drifted from memory over the years as the villagers tried to make their own success. Some people remember, though, and think they’ve seen Niko around. There’s ton to do at the village’s Night Markets, including selling things and cat races! There is lots of exploring to do and puzzles to solve. Mineko’s Night Market will be released on September 26, 2023.
Roguelike cooking management. Cook. Serve. Upgrade. Automate. Now you can have your own restaurant in Plate Up! Be strategic, and you’ll be busy busy busy. Up to four chefs can play via local or online multiplayer. At the end of every shift, you’ll gain new items. Plate Up! will be released in October 2023.
I adore two of the three games with upcoming DLC: A Little to the Left and Cult of the Lamb. A Little to the Left will be getting the “Cupboards & Drawers” DLC. Cult of the Lamb will be getting a “Relics of the Old Faith” update. Finally, Shovel Knight will be getting the “Pocket Dungeon’s Puzzlers Pack” DLC.
A puzzle exploration game. There are over 40 cases to solve across time and space. Begin by looking at the map; each era has different crime scenes. Doing something in one era can change events in another and the map will change. Crime O’Clock will be released on June 30.
Full list of games
- Mineko’s Night Market – September 26, 2023
- My Time at Sandrock – “Summer” 2023 (Q3)
- Plate Up! – October 2023
- Quilts and Cats of Calico – “Autumn” 2023 (Q4)
- Rift of the NecroDancer – 2023
- A Little to the Left: Cupboards & Drawers DLC
- Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon’s Puzzlers Pack DLC
- Cult of the Lamb: Relics of the Old Faith Update
- Animal Well – Q4 2023 or Q1 2024
- Crime O’Clock – June 30, 2023
- Teslagrad 2 – available today
- Shadows Over Loathing – available today
- Blasphemous 2 – “Summer 2023” (Q3)
- Oxenfree II: Lost Signals – July 12, 2023
- Paper Trail – August 2023
- Little Kitty, Big City – 2024
- Chants of Sennaar – September 5, 2023
- Brotato – 2023
- Escape Academy: Complete Edition – September 2023
- Five nights at Freddy’s: Security Breach – available today
- Bomb Rush Cyberfunk – August 18, 2023
Watch the entire Indie World Showcase