Nintendo’s Indie World Showcases have quickly become one of the best ways to learn about indie games coming to Nintendo Switch. Today’s showcase proves that the Switch is still the place to publish indie games aside from PC, which is one of the reasons I love the console so much. Instead of covering the entire thing, I’d like to share the highlights of the presentation – but don’t worry, I’ll also link you to the entire thing!
I’m super excited to see Venba here for multiple reasons. One, it got the first slot, which is huge! Two, it means the game is coming to Switch (as well as its previously-announced PC version). Venba is a narrative cooking game that follows and Indian Mother (Venba) who immigrates to Canada with her family in the 1980s. Her recipe book gets damaged in the move, and the goal is to restore the lost recipes and cook mouth-watering dishes that connect to her former home. Players also explore the story of family, love, and loss through branching conversations. Developed by Visai Games, Venba will be released in Q2 2023. It will also be available for PC.
Nope, I didn’t mean AKA; Aka is in fact correct. After a war ends, an old friend invites you to his island to live a peaceful life amongst the fauna and flora. There is gardening. There is crafting. There is relaxing. Aka isn’t a linear game, and players can choose when and who to help to complete narrative quests; this is the only true way to find inner peace. Explore different islands, like Pine Tree Island inspired by the south-west of France or Maple Tree Island inspired by Canadian landscapes. Aka looks like a true gem. Developed by Cosmo Gatto and published by Neowiz, it will be released on December 15. It will also be available for PC.
A Space for the Unbound
This slice-of-life narrative adventure is set in the late 90s, in rural Indonesia. It’s a story about overcoming anxiety, depression, and the relationship between a boy and a girl with supernatural powers. Atma and Raya are at the end of their high school years, but only beginning their journey of self-discovery. Players will use the powers to dive into people’s minds, going between the real and the surreal worlds. Experience the townsfolk’s memories and uncover secrets. Developed by Mojiken Studio, and published by Toge Productions and Chorus Worldwide, A Space for the Unbound will be released on January 19.
Gorgeous artwork? Check. Photography? Check. I’m already in. Play as 32-year-old Mimi, who is visiting her recently deceased grandmother’s house. As a souvenir of her childhood, when Mimi spend summers with her grandmother, her grandmother has left letters and puzzles to solve. Mimi will immerse herself into her childhood memories, once again seeing the world in the eyes of a little girl who marveled at everything. In the present, Mimi explores the house’s rooms. In the past, 10-year-old Mimi explores Dordogne and completing quests that affect the present.Developed by Un Je Ne Sais Quoi and published by Focus Entertainment, Dordogne will be released in Q2 2023.
A Little to the Left
A Little to the Left is pretty simple: organize things! Yep, that’s it. Organize household objects into satisfying arrangements. Sort spoons, stack papers, put away cat toys, and more. The cat tends to get in the way and will show up to make a mess of the arrangements. There are over 75 messes to solve, many with multiple solutions. Developed by Max Inferno and published by Secret Mode, A Little to the Left will be available later today (or possibly now, whenever you’re reading this.)
Featured games coming to Nintendo Switch
- Venba (Visai Games)
- Goodbye World (PM Studios, Isolation Studio)
- Have a Nice Death (Gearbox Publishing, Magic Design Studios)
- Aka (Neowiz, Cosmo Gatto)
- Pepper Grinder (Devolver Digital, Ahr Ech)
- Coffee Talk 2: Hibiscus & Butterfly (Chorus Worldwide, Toge Productions)
- Oni: Road to be the Mightiest Oni (Clouded Leopard Entertainment, Kenei Design)
- Desta: The Memories Between (ustwo games)
- A Space for the Unbound (Chorus Worldwide, Toge Productions, Mojiken Studio)
- Dordogne (Focus Entertainment, Un Je Ne Sais Quoi)
- Botany Manor (Whitethorn Games, Balloon Studios)
- Once Upon a Jester (Crunching Koalas, Bonte Avond)
- Rogue Legacy 2 (Cellar Door Games)
- Blanc (Gearbox Publishing, Casus Ludi)
- WrestleQuest (Skybound Games, Mega Cat Studios)
- Wobbledogs Console Edition (Secret Mode, Animal Uprising)
- Storyteller (Annapurna Interactive, Daniel Benmergui)
- World of Horror (Ysbryd Games, panstasz)
- Curse of the Sea Rats (PQube, Petoons Studio)
- Inscryption (Devolver Digital, Daniel Mullins Games)
- A Little to the Left (Secret Mode, Max Inferno Games)
- Sports Story (Sidebar Games)