News by Matt S.
Apparently the good people of Poland like kangaroos. Kao the Kangaroo was one of the many platforming heroes from a few decades ago that we thought were done and dusted. But, no, you can’t keep a good thing down. The Polish team at Tate Multimedia have announced a new Kao the Kangaroo title… 17 years after the previous one.
Kao debuted on the SEGA Dreamcast but would later appear on PC, PS2, PSP, GameCube, Xbox, and GBA. The series sold 700,000 copies before it was put on ice. It would seem with the recent reignition of interest in classic platformers (Ty the Tasmanian Tiger… which actual Australians developed, has done quite well in being rebooted), Tate Multimedia saw an opportunity, and now we have a reboot coming this year.
The game, simply titled “Kao the Kangaroo” will release on PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and PC via Steam. According to the press release, the game’s features include:
- Beautiful, diverse worlds, packed with secrets
- Engaging and fun gameplay for all ages – family-friendly, but for core gamers too
- Magic gloves stacked with powers
- Kao – a cheeky, brave, and feisty kangaroo who embarks on a life-changing journey
- An engaging story filled with a cast of captivating characters
- Challenging combat including unique boss battles
- A whole host of items to collect
It’s going to be a tough ask to resurrect a long-buried property at a time where there are relatively few new platformers being made (and those that are are of the quality of Ratchet & Clank…), but we have our fingers crossed for the team.
With any luck, if this is successful, we’ll get a game starring a quokka developed by a Latvian studio next.
– Matt S.
Find me on Twitter: @mattsainsb